Listed here you will find a list of the primary Galapagos Islands and a few basic info on the dimensions and kinds of species observed on Each individual.
one.Baltra (South Seymour) Island – Often called South Seymour, Baltra is a small flat island around the middle with the Galápagos. Baltra Airport is among two airports. Personal planes fly to Baltra, as it is the only airport with facilities for planes overnight. A small bay accommodates the boats awaiting passengers to the cruises on the Galapagos.
two. Bartolome (Bartholomew) Island – A volcanic islet just from the east Coastline of Santiago Island. On the list of "young" islands. This island is probably the number of that is definitely property on the Galapagos penguin, the one wild penguin species to continue to exist the equator. The inexperienced turtle also resides about the island.
three. Darwin (Culpepper) Island – Named immediately after Charles Darwin. It's a place of 1.one square kms. Fur seals, frigates, maritime iguanas, swallow-tailed gulls, sea lions, whales, marine turtles, and red-footed and Nazca boobies may be observed below.
four. Espanola (Hood) Island – Named in honor of Spain and also known as Hood, just after Viscount Samuel Hood. It can be sixty sq. kms along with the oldest and most southern of your islands (approx 3.five million yrs). Resulting from its remote site, the island has a large number of its individual species of lava lizard, mockingbirds and tortoise.
The marine iguanas exhibit a definite red coloration transform in the course of the breeding period. It's the only location the place the waved albatross nests. The islands steep cliffs are a perfect place for birds to choose off for their ocean feeding grounds. Espanola has two customer sites. Gardner Bay for swimming and snorkeling, offers a good beach. Punta Suarez has migrant, resident, and endemic wildlife.
5. Ferandina (Narborough) Island – Named in honor of King Ferdinand eleven of Aragon, who sponsored the voyage of Columbus. An area of 642 square kms The youngest and westernmost island. Many hundreds of marine iguanas gather, mostly on black lava rocks. The well known flightless cormorants inhabit this island, as do Galapagos penguins, pelicans, Galapagos sea lions, and Galapagos fur seals. Right here it is possible to see lava flows and mangrove forests.
six. Floreana (Charles or Santa Maria) Island – Named following Juan Jose Flores, the primary President of Ecuador. It's got a place of 173 sq. kms. On the list of initial to get inhabited. Flamingos and environmentally friendly sea turtles nest around the island. The Galapagos petrel, a sea fowl, is uncovered here. At Submit Office environment Bay, whalers kept a wood barrel that acted being a write-up Workplace for mail. An underwater volcanic cone and coral formations can be found for the “Satan's Crown”.
7. Genovesa (Tower) Island – Named for Genoa, Italy in which Columbus was born. An place of fourteen square kms. This island is the edge of a big submerged crater. Nicknamed “hen island” for the many prevod sa italijanskog na srpski jezik uncommon birds which can be viewed there. There is a big Palo Santo forest.
8. Isabela (Albemarie) Island – Named in honor of Queen Isabela. With a location of four,640 sq. kms it's the biggest island on the Galapagos. The island was established by the merging of six huge volcanoes into one land mass. Galapagos penguins, flightless cormorants, maritime iguanas, pelicans and Sally lightfoot crabs abound. The island has a fascinating lowland vegetation. The 3rd greatest inhabited island, and the sole island to provide the equator operate through it.
9. Marchena (Bindloe) Island - Named following Fray Antonio Marchena, it's a location of a hundred thirty sq. kms. Home of Galapagos hawks, sea lions and also the Marchena lava lizard, an endemic animal.
10. North Seymour Island – Named for Lord Hugh Seymour, an English Nobleman. It's a location of one.nine sq. kms. Fashioned by a geological uplift, it is house to several species of birds. North Seymour is a rare spot for breeding birds.
eleven. Pinzon (Duncan) Island – Named once the Pinzon brothers, captains of your Pinta and Nina sailing ships, it's got an area of 18 square kms.
12. Pinta (Abingdon) Island – Named after the Pinta sailing ship, with a place of 60 square km. Sea lions, Galapagos hawks, big tortoises, maritime iguanas, and dolphins is often viewed in this article.
thirteen. Rabida (Jervis) Island – Named for the convent where Columbus left his son throughout his voyage for the Americas. It's a place of four.nine sq. kms. Iron contained while in the lava offers it a particular purple shade. White-cheeked pintail ducks are now living in a saltwater lagoon. 9 species of finches are actually claimed on this island.
fourteen. San Cristobal (Chatham) Island – Named with the patron saint of seafarers, St. Christopher. Chatham was specified for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham. An area of 558 square kms. This island hosts frigate birds, sea lions, giant tortoises, blue- and red-footed boobies, tropicbirds, maritime iguanas, dolphins, and swallow tailed gulls. The islands has the most important freshwater lake in the archipelago, Laguna El Junco. The island has the second airport in the islands and Puerto Baquerizo Moreno on the island is the capital of the province of Galapagos.
15. Santa Cruz (Indefatigable) Island – Named for the Holy Cross in Spanish, its English name emanates from the British vessel HMS Indefatigable. It's got a region of 986 sq. kms. Santa Cruz has the most important inhabitants. The Charles Darwin Exploration Station plus the headquarters on the Galapagos Nationwide Park Provider are located listed here. The Highlands are renowned for your lava tunnels. Big tortoise populations are discovered right here. Black Turtle Cove is surrounded by mangroves, with sea turtles, rays and little sharks.
16. Santa Fe (Barrington) Island – Named for just a town in Spain, with a region of 24 sq. kms. Santa Fe hosts a forest of Opuntia Cactus.
seventeen. Santiago (San Salvador, James) Island – Named for Saint James in English, often known as San Salvador, right after the initial island found by Columbus. The island has an area of 585 square kms. Maritime iguanas, sea lions, fur seals, land and sea turtles, flamingos, dolphins and sharks are observed below. At Sulivan Bay, a lava circulation could be observed.
18. Wolf (Wenman) Island – Named for German geologist Theodor Wolf. It's got a region of one.3 square kms. Here, fur seals, frigatebirds, Nazca and pink-footed boobies, maritime iguanas, sharks, whales, dolphins and swallow-tailed gulls might be observed. The vampire finch, which feeds partly on blood pecked from other birds, and is just discovered on this island.
19. Daphne Major – A little island specifically north of Santa Cruz and west of Baltra, this quite inaccessible island appears, although unnamed, on Ambrose Cowley's 1684 chart. It is important as The situation of multidecade finch inhabitants reports.
20. South Plaza Island (Plaza Sur) – Named in honor of former president, Typical Leonidas Plaza of Ecuador.. It's got a place of prevod sa srpskog na italijanski 0.13 sq. kms. The flora of South Plaza incorporates Opuntia cactus and Sesuvium vegetation, which type a reddish carpet on top of the lava formations. Iguanas are ample, and huge figures of birds may be noticed with the cliffs.
21. Nameless Island – A small islet made use of generally for scuba diving.